Friday, April 1, 2011

Day One!

I started today off wondering where in the downtown core I'll pick up some herbs to grow.  I ended up finding "Urban Garden" on Hornby St. by "Kettle of Fish".  I ended up meeting Rebecca there and told me that it would take a few months to get some herbs to a good size for usage.  I ended up caving and bought some plants already grown, along with some soil and a pot.  I ended up getting some thyme and cilantro, I thought about mint, but I needed a bit more space for it.

The reason I bought some already grown, was I wanted to be able to use them pretty soon.  Maybe place a bit of thyme on some ice cream.

I brought it home and ended up planting them.  I'll wait till they grow a bit more, then I'll be using them in my meals.  I am excited to have fresh thyme at the ready!


Things I learned:
  • Apparently I need to change up the soil every six months, and make sure to get a soil with fertilizer since I will be eating the herbs.  
  • I didn't know I needed a specific type of soil if I am going to be eating the herbs, it turns out there is all kinds of soil for different things.  If you want to mature a plant, there is a specific soil for that as well.
  • Mint needs a lot of space to grow, it tends to take over a bit more than others.  
  • If I wanted the herbs ready for today, I had to plant them back in January. 
  • Pots are pretty expensive!
  • I don't have to water them daily, the soil has to feel "dry damp", if it doesn't then I water them.
Total cost: $40

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I have a feeling that you are going to have the best month ever after reading this. I would like to point out that a lot of your project might require "stuff" I would suggest trying to find as much of it at Dollarama or Daiso before you go off and purchase something that is more costly. I can't wait to see if your plants become crazy big and take over your apartment.

    ReplyDelete