Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Apple Pie (Day 5)

So this task was a lot of fun!  My goal was to make an apple pie from scratch, I'd make the dough, and  filling.  After asking around at work, about the type of pie I should make.  I ended up settling on a traditional apple pie, I kind of wanted to make a fancy one, but the people at work convinced me that I should just keep it simple.  I ended up going to Choices and bought all the ingredients I needed, then afterwards headed to Canadian Tire to get a pie dish.  A friend of mine also lent me a mixer, which turned out to be really helpful.


I first started up by making the crust, and I screwed up the first batch, by not adding enough water.  I tossed it, simply because I didn't know that all it needed was more water, I should have read the reviews online.  Ah well, second time through it went a lot better.  I rolled out the dough, and placed it in the dish.  Then it was time to deal with the apples.  I pealed, cored and diced 8 large granny smith apples.  Got a bit hungry while doing it, so I ended up snacking on a couple.
Once I placed the apples in the pie dish with the crust, I then made the sauce that will be covering the pie.  I then did a laced pattern for the top, and covered the top with the sauce I made. After that, all that was left was to place the pie in the oven, and wait for the results!  And here is!  Tasting is today, my test subjects are the people I work with!
Things learned:

  • You can go off recipe, if it works!
  • Pie's take a while to make, this one about 3hrs or so, since I did have to restart.
  • Your place will smell amazing when making one.
Total Cost = $40.00

1 comment: